Friday, June 12, 2009

Kosher Grilling

This past Tuesday, chef friend Shaya and I battled an early call time, relentless rain and thick fog (in June?!?) to teach another kosher cooking class at the JCC Greater Five Towns, Long Island. It was a summer grilling class, which we did on an indoor grill due to said inclement weather.

On the menu
(sorry, no pics this time)
  1. Rosemary and Garlic Grilled Chicken Breast with a Grilled Corn and Radish Salad
  2. Spice-Rubbed Grilled Skirt Steak with a Tehina and Tofu Noodle Salad
  3. Bulgar Wheat Grilled Burger with a Grilled Watermelon and Arugula Salad

The feedback was so great that they've asked us to come back for two more classes this Fall. One will be on Egyptian/Middle Eastern cuisine (Shaya's background) and the other on Japanese, for which Shaya will help me kosher-fy some of the recipes I learned from working at Nobu.

Although it does pay less, I'm really liking these culinary instructor gigs, more so than the catering. Being a back-of-the-house type, I'm surprised that I'm actually enjoying the heavy client interaction. Also, having some input on the menu is creatively more satisfying than churning out, say, 100 goat cheese-stuffed endive cups. Now if I could find a place to teach that doesn't require me to wake up at 5am...

Side Note: On my days off, I bake...

Sour Cream Apple Pie and Buttermilk Biscuits



3 comments:

  1. The Five Towns! That's where I grew up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mouth-watering goodness......mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're all interested in reading the recipes for these dishes, you can find them online at http://www.atyourpalate.com/blog/recipes/#FiveTowns

    ReplyDelete